Yes, it is true, posing men is a good bit different than posing women. While there are always those great standard poses that will work for anyone. It’s important to know different poses for different subjects. As always we advise to start simple, and see what evolves from there. Placing your subject in a pose that is simple and comfortable for them is best to start with. From that point you can try different variations of that pose and so forth! Also remember that sometimes men are not as relaxed when it comes to posing and photography so take your time!
Here are some quick transition poses that are great for men:
- The sideways way of leaning against the wall with shoulder resting on wall legs loosely crossed
- Sitting on the ground, knees apart, elbows slightly on the knees
- Motion and action poses are ideal for men
- Forward- men look great straight on, where that seems to be a less flattering pose for women
- Back Lean- men give a more relaxed and sometime sexy feel when they are posed leaning back, shoulders resting on wall or doorframe
- Mid Walk- have your subject posed with on foot in front of the other, one hip turned slightly toward the camera in a mid walking stance
These are all poses that can lead to more defined poses. Remember to keep in mind body style while posing your subject, and avoid poses that make him appear feminine. What poses may work for an athletic topless man, may not work for a business man in a suit. Another important tips is when posing men keep it simple and fun!